The Keck Center of the National Academies
About this Series
“What You Need to Know About…” is a series of informational booklets and websites designed to engage readers in current topics in science, engineering, and medicine. These materials provide accurate information about complex issues that affect us as individuals and as a nation. Sound knowledge about such issues is critical if citizens are to evaluate debates and make informed decisions in our increasingly technological world.
The content in the series is distilled from reports and studies of the National Research Council and the Institute of Medicine, as well as other authoritative sources. The relevant reports and studies are included in the Source Library for each topic, linked to from every page on the site.
Who We Are
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, and National Research Council are private, nonprofit institutions that provide expert advice on some of the most pressing challenges facing the nation and the world. We produce groundbreaking reports that have helped shape sound policies, inform public opinion, and advance the pursuit of science, engineering, and medicine. Over many decades, our institution has distinguished itself as the nation's premier source of independent, expert advice on scientific, engineering, and medical issues.
The websites for each topic are complemented by additional materials that present similar content in diverse formats, including printed booklets, PDFs, and audio and video podcasts.
What You Need to Know About Energy
- Website: needtoknow.nas.edu/energy
- Printed booklet: To order a 32-page, illustrated primer on the topic of energy, please see the National Academies Press catalog page.
- PDF of booklet: The 32-page booklet is also available as a PDF via the National Academies Press catalog page.
- iBook: See the iBook store for a free version of the booklet.
- “America's Energy Future” video
- “America's Energy Future” audio podcast
What You Need to Know About Infectious Disease
- Website: needtoknow.nas.edu/id
- Printed booklet: To order a 44-page, illustrated primer on the topic of infectious disease, please see the National Academies Press catalog page.
- PDF of booklet: The 44-page booklet is also available as a PDF via the National Academies Press catalog page.
- "What You Need To Know About Infectious Disease" video
What You Need to Know About Climate Change