Increasing the energy supply is not the only answer to a stable energy future. Reducing demand through the improved efficiency of devices and procedures has the same end result. Learn about energy efficiency “wins” from the past and areas showing potential for the future.
Understanding EfficiencyLearn the significance of energy efficiency
The Promise of Better LightingEnergy savings through lighting technology
Our Energy SystemA visualization of all our energy sources
- Solar Thermal Generation
Electricity generated from heat produced by solar energy.
Search the National Academies Press website by selecting one of these related terms.
- Real Prospects for Energy Efficiency in the United States (2010)
- Energy Research at DOE: Was It Worth It? Energy Efficiency and Fossil Energy Research 1978 to 2000 (2001)
- Effectiveness and Impact of Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) Standards (2002)
- Decreasing Energy Intensity in Manufacturing: Assessing the Strategies and Future Directions of the Industrial Energy Technologies Program (2005)
- Sustainability in the Chemical Industry: Grand Challenges and Research Needs--A Workshop Report (2005)